Monday 12 September 2011

Loewen Behold: Offday musings




Am I a journalist yet?  Look at that title.  A pun based on a guy's name, and it's a saying that 90-year olds say.  I swear I could write for the PGA tour (literally every time Adam Scott does something, the banner headline is "Great Scott!").

Anyway, yeah... Adam Loewen.  I thought he looked pretty good out there.  Better than having Dewayne Wise out there, that's for damn sure.  I'm going to go ahead and give him the Zaunhead, though David Cooper probably deserves on just as badly.  CF>1B though.

I'm not sure why, but I'm kind of digging Mike Mccoy these days.  He's somehow only hitting .207 (.323 OBP though, with 9 steals *swoon*), but it just seems like he's getting hits all the time.  Maybe I just need a new John Mcdonald-type to enjoy watching despite being replacement level talent.  Obviously I wouldn't have him as a leadoff guy for when Yunel is out of the lineup, but I guess there aren't a ton of better options (*cough * Brett Lawrie, Kelly Johnson).  I realize that it's just a temporary solution during the end of a lost season, but the point is still valid.

The Jays now come across one of those ever-painful-for-someone-with-nothing-better-to-do offdays, before going to Fenway for two games to ruin the Red Sox' playoff hopes.  Those idiots are in a tailspin, and the Jays will get to face Tim Wakefield and Andrew Miller, both of whom are terrible.  Boston got the shit kicked out of them yesterday by TB 9-1, and are now just 3.5 games up on the Rays for the Wild Card (bitches).  That's still a halfway decent lead, especially for a team of this caliber, but they're 2-8 in September, so I'm not writing their playoff primer just yet.  The Rangers now only have a 2.5 game lead over Anaheim, but I already wrote that primer, so fuck that.

It's Monday morning right now, and I'm at least a full timezone East of most people who write anything, which means that I'm pretty much the only baseball writer that has anything ready to go at this time of the day.  As result, the internet is pretty fucking barren of useful commentary that I could link to.  The only thing that might be at all relevant to the Bluejays (and this is a reach) is the fact that St Louis signed Chris Carpenter to an extension last night, which ties up $21MM over the next two years.  They are also expected to pick up Adam Wainwright's contract options for 2012 and 2013 (another $21MM over two years).  OMG they're out of money!  Albert Pujols to the Jays!

No comments:

Post a Comment