Sunday 16 October 2011

Stuff

Jays catcher prospect Travis d'Arnaud tore a ligament in his thumb on his catching hand yesterday, and needs surgery immediately.  Bad news.  Apparently he'll be all set to go for spring training, but that still sucks pretty bad.

Gregor Chisolm tells us some stuff that we already knew about concerning Kelly Johnson.  Apparently Johnson is a free agent and the Jays need to address the second base issue!

Jays' assistant to the Gnereal Manager Tony Lacava has been given permission to interview for the vacant GM job in Baltimore.  AA says that he'll never not grant anybody the freedom of seeking better positions within other organizations, which is friendly, I suppose.  He claims that such a policy should attract better personnel in to the organization, but I can't see it.  I dunno, he's smarter than I am, I suppose.

Buster Olney seems to think that David Ortiz could be a fit in Toronto.  Other than the fact that he's a douche, I don't hate it.  The only real problem I have with the concept is that there's already two guys in the lineup who don't play defense, in Adam Lind and Edwin Encarnacion.  I guess you could stick Edwin at 1B and DH Ortiz, if you really feel like trading Adam Lind's super team friendly contract when he's at his lowest trade value (well... this past offseason was his lowest trade value, but he's coming off a really shitty final 3 months of the season).  Ortiz, despite being 35, is still a pretty damn good hitter (153 wRC+, 4.2 fWAR in 2011), so that bat fits in the lineup just fine.  It would probably force the Jays in to putting a liability in to the field with Edwin, but the Ortiz production would be nice regardless.  I'm not sure what a 35-year-old, all bat, no glove DH should go for on the market, but I'd be skeptical to give a multi-year deal to him, especially at any significant price.  He made $12.5MM this past season, and I doubt he'd get a raise on that, even coming off a 4+ win season.

Okay, that's enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment