Saturday 26 May 2012

Forgot

In my haste of getting ready to go drinking, combined with the roster foundation project that I've got going on (of which, part two should be up either today or tomorrow), I forgot to write a little preview dealy for last night's game.  And really, it's probably a good thing, because I'd have written about how awesome Brandon Morrow is, and has been this season.  Well, about that.  Ian Kinsler made Morrow throw as many pitches in one AB as Derek Holland threw for the whole first inning, and the rest of his batters weren't a whole lot better.

I'll be honest, I only watched the first inning, and most of that was on fast-forward on my TiVo*, and pretty much instantly turned the game off after 1 inning.  Texas is a great team to watch, but not when they're stepping on my favorite team.  I might go back and watch the good parts, since it's supposed to thunderstorm today, but I dunno if I can be fucked to do that.

It would appear Jeff Mathis pitched? I might have to watch this one after all, since he had a cleaner inning that Brandon Morrow.  Fuck, he can have a Zaunhead for that one.  That should be a new rule; any position player who gets through an inning automatically earns that days' Zaunhead.

I guess we missed some stuff yesterday, so let's jump in to that.

The Jays placed Ben Francisco on the 15-day DL, and recalled David Cooper to replace him.  They've also recalled Ryota Igarashi, and optioned Evan Crawford back to AAA.  Really trying to "AAAA" this roster right now.  Finally, Dustin McGowan was placed on the 60-day DL.  That move opens up a spot on the 40-man roster, which suggests to me that there might be another move on the way.

About Francisco, apparently he's got a tear in his hamstring, and will be out for a little while.  He'll be shut down for 7-10 days, and will then need to rehab.  Kelly Johnson has a hamstring issue too, but his MRI came back negative.  He might see a day off today or tomorrow.

Call to the Pen wrote about Brandon Morrow.

Travis d'Arnaud was named the AAA player of the week.

Jayson Stark says that three teams aren't interested in Adam Lind.  No shit.

MLBTR looks at the Jays' contract issues for the upcoming offseason.

In non-Blue Jay stuff, The Diamondbacks, probably realizing that they weren't getting JPA or TdA anytime soon (this actually had nothing to do with it), extended Miguel Montero for 5 years and $60MM.  Montero is good and all, but I just had to see that kind of commitment given to a catcher, given the attrition rate at the position.

The Orioles made an extension of their own, locking up Adam Jones.  This one isn't official yet, as far as I know, but will apparently be in the 6 year, $85MM range.  Jones had one year of arbitration eligibility left, before hitting free agency, so he'll probably get something like $10MM next year and $15ishMM annually after that.



*- I just kind of assume that it's "TiVo" with that capitalization.  I'm not sure why, but I'm going to keep writing it like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment